THE UNIVERSITY OF GDAŃSK SAMUEL BECKETT SEMINAR 2018
BECKETT’S FACES (16-17 MAY 2018)
Co-organised with the University of Goias (Brasil)
Honorary Patron: Irish Embassy in Poland
Venue: Dworek Sierakowskich, ul. Czyżewskiego 12 Sopot, Poland
WEDNESDAY 16 May 2018
9.00-10.00 Panel 1
1. Tomasz Wiśniewski (University of Gdańsk) and Robson Correa de Camargo (University of Goias) “Opening Address”
2. Katarzyna Ojrzyńska (University of Łódź) “Beckett in the biscuit land: Jess Thom’s _Not I_.”
3. Martin Blaszk (University of Gdańsk) “Going for a walk with Beckett: A Godot happening”
10.00-10.45 – Meeting the author
4. Andrzej Stasiuk in conversation with David Malcolm, Katarzyna Kręglewska and Tomasz Wiśniewski
11.00-11.45 – Meeting the director
5. Jarosław Fret (Teatr ZAR) in conversation with Octavian Saiu
12.00-14.00 Panel 2 Chair: Nicholas Johnson (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
6. David Houston Jones (University of Exeter, UK) “Forensic portraiture and facial objectification, from Beckett’s Film to Spirit is a Bone”
7. Anita Rákóczy (Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church, Budapest, Hungary) “The first Hungarian Fin de partie on stage and film”
8. Paulina Mirowska (University of Łódź) “Waiting for Godot in the American West: Negotiating tradition in Sam Shepard’s postmillennial plays”
9. Anna Suwalska-Kołecka (PWSZ, Płock) “Anxiety: Beckett and Churchill”
15.00-15.45 Keynote address 1 Chair: Tomasz Wiśniewski (UG)
10. Olga Kubińska (University of Gdańsk) “Word, silence, translation: Steiner on Beckett”
16.00-18.00 Panel 3 Chair: Jonathan Heron (University of Warwick, UK)
11. Sławomir Studniarz (University of Warmia and Mazury) “A curious case of Beckett’s translations of his own poems”
12. Allan Lourenço da Silva (Máskara Theater Group, Brazil) “Beckett between light and shadow: the image from Beckett to Rembrandt at The Máskara Theater Group”
13. Mariana Tagliari (Máskara Theater Group, Brazil) “What Where by Máskara ensamble: personal narrative and dramatic tensions”
14. Robert Murtagh (Independent Researcher, Ireland) “Samuel Beckett & the Graphic Novel”
THURSDAY 17 May 2018
9.00-9.45 Roundtable discussion on Beckett, Różewicz and Gombrowicz
15. Joanna Lisiewicz (University of Gdańsk) and Bartosz Lutostański (University of Warmia and Mazury) in conversation with Malcolm/Kręglewska/Wiśniewski
9.45-10.45 Keynote address 2 Chair: Nicholas Johnson (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
16. S.E. Gontarski (Florida State University) “Beckett’s Love’s Labor’s Lost”
11.00-12.30 Panel 4 Chair: David Houston Jones (University of Exeter, UK)
17. Rafał Borkowski (University of Gdańsk) “We are, needless to say, in a skull”: an introduction to Samuel Beckett and Neuroscience”
18. Jadwiga Uchman (University of Łódź) “Samuel Beckett and politics”
19. Jorgen Veisland (University of Gdańsk) “The breathless discourse. Narrating death in Samuel Beckett’s The Unnamable and Paul Auster’s 4321”
12.45-13.45 Panel 5 (In Polish) Chair: Bartosz Lutostański (UWM)
20. Żaneta Nalewajk-Turecka (University of Warsaw) “Foniczność i audialność w dramatach i prozie Samuela Becketta”
21. Tomasz Kaczorowski (University of Gdańsk) “Praca nad rytmem i ciszą podczas realizacji spektaklu Tod i Trauma Włodzimierza Szturca. Beckettowskie inspiracje.
14.30-16.00 Panel 6 (in Polish) Chair: Żaneta Nalewajk-Turecka (University of Warsaw)
22. Anna Gryszkiewicz (University of Gdańsk) “Uwięzieni w kole Samsary czyli Samuel Beckett i buddyzm”
23. Zuzanna Elbert (University of Warsaw) “Samuel Beckett w dialogach Antoniego Libery i Janusza Pydy OP”
24. Damian Binkowski (University of Gdańsk) “Sztuka telewizyjna …jak obłoki… Samuela Becketta w świetle teorii Marshalla McLuhana”
12.00-17.00 Mapping Beckett – Beckett Laboratory (Teatr na Plaży, Sopot)
Nicholas Johnson (Trinity College Dublin, UK) / Jonathan Heron (University of Warwick, UK) – Mapping Beckett laboratory work
Beckett Research Group in Gdańsk
The University of Gdańsk, Poland
16-17 May 2018
Beckett-poet, Beckett-novelist, Beckett-short story writer, Beckett-filmmaker, Beckett-playwright, Beckett-director: Samuel Beckett’s oeuvre comprises an impressive array of works of various forms, conventions and genres. Throughout his career he even experimented with writing for radio and television. Clearly, he was not exactly Janus-faced but always exploring, incessantly experimenting, inexhaustibly creative. Likewise, his readers were obliged to match Beckett’s artistic heterogeneity with interpretive skills of equal variety and potency: Beckett-modernist, Beckett-postmodernist, Beckett-postcolonialist, Beckett-satirist, Beckett-feminist, and so on, and so forth.
The main theme for the 2018 seminar is Beckett’s Faces: the multifariousness of his artistic, semantic and critical legacy confronted with the specificities of the 21st century humanities, especially literary and theatre studies, arts, and philosophy around the world. The seminar provides ground for discussing Beckett as faced with other artists and thinkers. We are open to proposals that confront Beckett with his contemporaries, or pursue those who are inspired by his work. Tracing the masters of the past that are reflected in his work is yet another option.
The form of the seminar should enable us not only to explore similarities and differences between individuals but also to depict broader historical and geographical perspectives. We are particularly interested in unusual frameworks that may contribute to the present understanding of how to contextualize Beckett.
The seminar will take place from 16 to 17 May 2018 in Sopot/Gdańsk, Poland. We would like to invite both scholars and artists who wish to approach the theme in their own ways to join us. While inviting papers on this subject, we also take the opportunity to announce that Professor S. E. GONTARSKI, has already accepted our invitation to take part in the seminar. There will be, moreover, a conversation with ANDRZEJ STASIUK (a major Polish contemporary writer) and round-table-discussions on Beckett and Leopardi, Beckett and Gombrowicz and Beckett and Różewicz.
The seminar will be part of the BETWEEN.POMIĘDZY festival of literature and theatre held in Sopot from 14 to 20 May 2018. This is the ninth annual festival organized by BETWEEN.POMIĘDZY.
For participation in the 2018 seminar, please send 250-word abstracts of papers by 1 March 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The conference registration fee is 100 euros (accommodation not included).
For information on previous seminars see: www.between.org.pl.
Dr hab. Tomasz Wiśniewski (UG)
Dr Bartosz Lutostański (UWM in Olsztyn)
Aleksandra Wachacz, MA (UG)
Rafał Borkowski, MA (UG)
The University of Gdańsk Samuel Beckett Seminars have been organized every year since 2010. They have been attended by scholars and artists from various parts of the world and have resulted in several publications. Guest speakers have included: Marcello Magni (Theatre de Complicite), Douglas Rintoul (Transport Theatre), Professor Enoch Brater (USA), Professor H. Porter Abbott (USA), Professor Derek Attridge (United Kingdom), Professor Nadia Kamel (Egypt), Dr Mark Nixon (Beckett International Foundation), Dr Nicholas Johnson (Trinity College Dublin), Professor Robson Correa de Camargo (Brazil) and Patricio Orozco (Argentina). Professor S.E. Gontarski is the honorary patron of the research group.